Amazon Banner

Monday, March 10, 2014

Skinny Swanky Scarf Product Review and Pattern

A few days ago, I received a surprise package from Red Heart Yarns. Products for me to review, and create patterns to give you.  I am excited, and can hardly wait to share all this lovely with you.  I need to stagger it though, to give each item it's proper place and attention.
The first Item I bring you is this Skinny Swanky Scarf, created with Red Heart Swanky Yarn.  It is soft, full of stretch, and glitz. Bring on the Bling. A perfect accessory for adding sparkle. Graceful Drape in this one is unexpected and fun.

For a Printer Friendly PDF of this pattern, Black ink only, no photos,  CLICK HERE


One Skein of RED HEART SWANKY will make 3 of these scarves, so there is a real value to this product.


Supplies

Swanky Yarn  About 65 yds
K or N Crochet Hook. You want lacy, undefined stitches for this scarf.
Yarn Needle, not too thick, as you want to interweave fibers when you bury ends.
Scissors

Gauge is not important to this accessory.
Finished size   Relaxed, About 2.5 inches X 70 inches
                 Blocked  4.75 inches X 72 inches

1) Chain   162   Loosely,  HDC in bottom loop of 4th ch from hook.  Ch 2, sk 2 ch,  HDC in the next 2 ch. Repeat across the chain. End with 2HDC. keep your HDC going into the botom loop of the chain, you will have a finished look, with out having to do a border stitch.

2) CH 5, Turn, Skip first  st. 2 HDC in ch 2 sp, ch 2, 2 HDC in next ch 2 space. Repeat across row. Place 1 HDC in top of turning ch.

3) CH 2, Turn, 1 HDC in ch 2 space, ch 2,  2 HDC in next ch 2 space Repeat across row. End with 2 HDC, 1 in space, 1 in top of turning ch.

Repeat rows 2 & 3, two more times. Cut yarn about up to the next sequin and pull through loop. Use needle to bury the end, crossing rows, and doubling back.  If sequin is too close, cut just before the next, and trim off the one in between.

The results are so Pretty.

I both Love, and Hate this yarn.
The line between the two is so thin.
I am a center puller. With the sequins in this product attached with a tiny thread, they tend to catch and pull.  When I tried unwrapping from the outside, I found that I had to manually maneuver the ball to unwind it without snags.
There is a ton of stretch to the scarf I made, which leads me to believe that for a garment, such as a top, this product may be super perfect, giving shaping without fussing over modified stitch counts. But, would there be too much Bling? That would be a personal decision.
The color in this is rich, intense and magical. There is a hint of variation with the shape if the sequins, the tone of the thread they are secured with and the side by side fibers of the yarn itself.  It is easy to shove the hook through the yarn, so I recommend watching what you are doing, rather than the TV. Once I had the second row on, It was a dream to work with. Watching it come together was fun. The snags do not hide in this lacy pattern, so take your time.

In conversations with other designers, I hear that for smaller, tighter stitches they had better luck. I have a fair amount left, so I will do another pattern using this product, and test that for myself. You will have to stay tuned for the next pattern and result.

Until next time
Becky

Again,  Printer Friendly PDF, Click Here
Crochet Design is my job.  It is how I pay bills, and buy groceries.  This pattern is available free, on my blog. By downloading the PDF, the need to visit my blog, is eliminated.  I will not be paid by advertisers.  It does not eliminate my need to eat.  Thus the need to charge for the PDF. I know you want me to be able to eat, so I can continue to design for you.  I would not expect you to work your job without compensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you